Do you have have large concrete planters that are really too heavy to move or they look so bad, you think they are a hopeless case.
They are not! I'm here to share with you how I brought ours back to life with my DIY Paint Finish for Concrete Planter.
Yes, this project just started out with the need to refinish the 12+ year-old urn with almost dead ivy. Little did I know that it would become a full-blown afternoon of cleaning up our side entrance…..you know the one that all your family and friends use by the garage.
……the one that happens to look the worst.
But, this simple household chore of cleaning has grown into a few more projects.
Honey, you'd better start resting that back! I've got a list of fun started!
I cleaned the urn and garden trellis stake. My hubby had already removed the dead looking ivy plant and tossed it. I had to remind him kindly to ask me before he removed anything that looked bad in case I needed a before picture. It's kind of joke in our family!
I sprayed the trellis with 2 coats of spray paint that I already had on hand.
After the urn was nice and dry from its cleaning, I sprayed it with 2 coats of spray paint.
I used 1-1/2 cans of this. This was the first time that I used this type. Let me say…it is fabulous!! It transformed the pot from ugly and discolored to like new.
All that detail in the middle became a little lost with one color. So I grabbed a can of paint that I already had on hand in a grey color suitable for outdoor use. I mixed it with just a touch of water to thin it somewhat. I then used a foam brush to paint all over the raised areas in the middle.
Then I immediately went back over it with a paper towel. I simply blotted and rubbed it off in areas. I ended up doing 2 coats like this.
I also added the grey wash in other crevices on the pot. It's hard to see in this photo, but around the bottom edge. I like the contrast between the gloss and matte finish.
I then potted 3 Asian Jasmine.
These evergreen perennial vines should do well in this sunny spot.
The vine will look beautiful climbing my freshly painted trellis.
The green you see here on the concrete is from the copper roof overhang above. It's pretty permanent.
That entrance area is looking a little plain. Think I'll be making a new wreath and a sign for that wall of cream siding. I told you more projects!
Looking forward to the vine growing up the trellis and spilling over the sides.
I am loving how clean it looks now! Little pat on the back!
I'll be sure to update you one the progress as the plants fill in.
I’d love for you to follow along on social media!
Home Stories A to Z Not Just a Housewife Kammy’s Korner The Happy HousieDesign Dining and Diapers Liz Marie Blog Funky Junk Interiors Savvy Southern StyleTatertotsand Jello DIY Show Off Redoux Interiors Between Naps on the PorchThe DIY DreamerOh My Creative Little Miss Celebration Just a Girl and Her Blog Sand and Sisal InteriorFrugalista House on the Way Addicted 2 DIY I should be Mopping the FloorMiss Mustard Seed Stone Gable- The Scoop Inspire Me Tuesday Feathered Nest Friday Treasure Hunt Thursday Northern NestingBuffer