It's that time…..Thrift Store Decor Makeover Challenge Day!
Check out your monthly thrift store team plus a new guest host each month!
Have you ever had one little project that blew up into a room makeover?
That happened to me over the weekend.
Reupholstering a new desk chair became a full-blown mini-office makeover. I painted the room over the weekend and knew that I needed some new artwork, or “new to me” art. That's code for hitting the thrift store stash.
I ventured into the H-O-T attic to shop my thrift store stash.
and…..came out with this. They are printed on this paper type material. The price tag on the back said $3 for the set.
My original intention was to decoupage new vintage images onto them. I knew I wanted to use a botanical in my home office which is the mudroom. I wanted it to be a touch girlie. I'm going for French Farmhouse.
Then I thought, these are already botanicals.
They really looked bad. Over time they had really yellowed or were just really dirty, but the image and font were really pretty nice.
**Contains affiliate Links**
I pulled out my Americana Decor Chalky Finish paint in Everlasting. I made a wash by adding water to it. A wash takes very little paint. It looks thicker in the picture here, but it's the consistency of milk. Brush it on and wipe it off.
Then go back over the floral areas with a damp paper towel and rub off more in various places.
Then go back around the outer edges and apply more of the white wash. Then wipe it off with a dry paper towel until you get the desired effect.
It definitely erased that yellow, dirty look they had.
You can see the one in the front is white washed. The one in the back hasn't been touched.
My original thought was that I'd try this. If it didn't look pretty, I go with my original decoupage plan.
They still weren't doing it for me……..
No photos of this because I was in full on “think and do” mode.
I pulled out my Minwax stain in Weathered Oak. (no photos)
I wiped on the stain and wiped it lightly off. Getting better!
Then I pulled out my Plaid liquid classic gold paint. I painted just the edges.
Wow! That did the trick. I finished with 1 coat of Americana Decor Matte Varnish to seal even on the gold edge. This entire process took like 1 hour. Start to finish including drying time.
I love how they turned out. My little mudroom home office is well on its way to becoming my girlie French Farmhouse work space.
This room was green. Now it's a light and airy neutral. I have a lot left to do in this space so stay in touch with the upcoming updates.
New DIY updates include:
Huge “Farmhouse” sign to go able cabinets
Reupholstered Desk Chair
They now have an aged, vintage look.
You can see the detail of the gold edging. They really have a high end look now for $3!
Be sure to pin the above image for later! Thanks!
Now it's time to check out the other thrift store projects!
I’d love for you to follow along on social media!
Home Stories A to Z Not Just a Housewife Kammy’s Korner The Happy HousieDesign Dining and Diapers Liz Marie Blog Funky Junk Interiors Savvy Southern StyleTatertotsand Jello DIY Show Off Redoux Interiors Between Naps on the PorchThe DIY DreamerOh My Creative Little Miss Celebration Just a Girl and Her Blog Sand and Sisal InteriorFrugalista House on the Way Addicted 2 DIY I should be Mopping the FloorMiss Mustard Seed Stone Gable- The Scoop Inspire Me Tuesday Feathered Nest Friday Treasure Hunt Thursday Northern NestingBuffer