Life has been so different with one at college and one in high school. We are finding that we have more alone time on the weekend evenings. While it's fun to go out on occasion, we really prefer staying at home. After all, there is no place like home.
Over the weekend was one such occasion. I decided to create another date night at home.
With the weather really getting chilly in the evenings, we had our first fire of the season. It was a perfect evening to dine in the family room by candlelight and fire while watching a movie….alone!
Date night at home is the best!
I removed all of the regular coffee table decor and replaced with an intimate fall tablescape.
I broke out the Andre Brut. I love this stuff. It's a great way to feel fancy smancy at home without a high price tag. Did you know that you can add mixers to your champagne to create a unique champagne cocktail? I like to add cranberry juice to mine, but decided to go straight up with the bubbly to go along with this pasta dish.
We were able to enjoy the Halloween mantel while watching a movie.
I've been throwing this pasta together for years, and finally wrote it down to share with you. It is always a hit with my family. While this one has sausage and asparagus, I have done similar variations with chicken and broccoli.
- 16 ounces fusilli pasta
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 bunch of chopped asparagus
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 12 ounces sliced spicy Italian sausage
- 3/4 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to directions
- Add 1 tbs of salt to boiling water
- During last minute of cooking, add the chopped asparagus to the pasta
- Drain the asparagus and pasta
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the sausage mixture
- Heat 2 tbs of olive oil
- Saute onion and garlic until golden brown
- Season with 1 tsp of salt and pepper to taste
- Add the sliced sausage to heat through
- Heat heavy whipping cream and pesto in a small sauce pot on low
- Add the Parmesan cheese
- Stir with a whisk to melt the cheese and blend. Keep stirring so it doesn't stick.
- Transfer the drained pasta and asparagus back to the large pasta pot
- Fold in sausage mixture
- Pour in sauce and blend together
- Serve with sprinkled Parmesan cheese and French bread
- Chicken and diced ham can be substituted for sausage. I used Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage.
This recipe serves 5-6 so you've got enough for leftovers or to feed the kids before hand.
The Andre Brut is the perfect accompaniment to it.
Check out the entire Andre Champagne selection:·Brut
I love that the entire evening can be put together with one single trip to the grocery! Putting together a fall tablescape like this can simply be put together with items from the produce area.One bunch of flowers, dried corn and fresh gourds make a nice arrangement on the table. I went for a rustic fall elegance theme.
Be sure to PIN the above image for later!
How do you plan to make your night #EpicWithAndre? Check out the hashtag on social media for more epic entertaining ideas with Andre.
You can check out another “Date Night In” with Andre HERE.
Do you have some simple entertaining ideas at home that you’d like to share? I’d love to hear about them. Just share in the comments below.
As always, drink responsibly. Always have a designated driver.