My mom called me all excited a couple of weeks ago!
She found me a beautiful antique mahogany desk to paint for only….drum roll please….$15!
The original plan was that I was going to paint it for her. She couldn’t decide on a color so I used one of my favorite two colors that I already had on hand. I had been wanting to try a grain sack look, and I thought this desk would be a perfect candidate!
I picked the desk up at mom’s. It is a very sturdy beauty with all original jewelry! BUT……ohhhhhh what a job she would be! Quite a few drawer fronts had to have the veneer glued back in place. Did you see the top? Lots of wood filler were used there. BUT the biggest pain, was that everywhere you touched it, red came off on your hands. It was like someone had tried to apply a stain to the top of the desk to make it look better and it wouldn’t absorb. It just sat on top and bubbles had formed especially on the drawer fronts. Yuck! Lots of sanding on the drawer fronts and top with the rotary sander. Then because of the red coming off on your hands was such an issue that I decided to prime with not one, but two coats of stain blocking water based primer. GRRRRRR!!!!! I was too concerned with bleed through, and I so didn’t want to waste my Annie Sloan chalk paint on multiple coats to cover the stain.
One coat of primer turned the brush pink. At this point I am worried and discouraged that this project is going to be a big fat fail!
Not exactly sure why I was worried? I am painting with the wonder chalk paint by Annie Sloan! I painted two coats. It fills in cracks and completely covered any remaining pink! I painted the body in French Linen. The coverage is amazing! I’ve painted several things with that one quart, and I still have enough for another smaller project!
I let this dry overnight only because I was tired! I used the above materials to create a wider grain sack look in Old White.
I taped off the center stripe to paint first. I carried the stripe down both sides of the desk as well for an overall effect.
I painted two light coats on the stripe, but honestly since I am later distressing, I probably could have gotten by with just one. I waited just a couple of short minutes while I put my brush in the fridge and removed the tape. I always pull at an angle away from the just painted part. I waited a couple of hours and then taped up the other two stripes and painted them.
Next just a couple of hours later, I started distressing. I kept my vacuum handy with the furniture brush attachment. I vacuumed away any dust as I went to clearly see where I needed to distress. I used a fine grit sanding block. If you are new to distressing with chalk paint, you might get a little scared at first…..I sure was! Notice how in these pictures marked by arrows how the edges of the stripes are ruffed and white from sanding. This goes away when you wax!
I continued to distress just the edges of the desk and the edges of the drawer fronts. Distressing is completely up to you. You could distress the sides and top more, but the edges and just the stripes were the look I was going for.
After sanding and really thoroughly dusting the desk, I began to wax with clear wax. I did one all over coat on the desk with an additional coat on the top for durability. I prefer applying wax with an old t-shirt. I feel like I have better control and can really work it into the piece. I did two coats of clear wax on the drawer fronts. I had to paint the interior and sides of the drawers in Old White, but didn’t want to waste my wax or fool with the whole process. I took the easier and cheaper route and just covered them with one coat of wipe on poly.
This is what it looks like all finished. Now to decide where she is going to go! Mom just couldn’t decide so it is going in my teen son’s room. She really just didn’t have the space. So up it went up the stairs with my handy-dandy helpers!
I knew exactly where I wanted it to go, but that involved a complete room rearrange that I was NOT planning on….yes more work! The funny thing is that my poor son didn’t know this was going on to his room! He is a creature of habit! He doesn’t like change and was not happy with the new arrangement. He has learned to put up with his mom and sister’s decorating ways!
Ashlyn started setting up the lights while I started taking things off the dressers and placing them on the bed. We were not planning on moving the bed, but had to…grrr! This means that I am now going to have to re-hang wall stuff and hopefully not have to paint! I am really liking the new bed arrangement! It is always fun to create a new look with what you already have!
Grain sack desk painted in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in French Linen and Old White with clear wax.
It’s all in the details! I was able to use all of the original hardware. It was pretty nasty, but cleaned up well. I like that it is really old and looks old!!!
Needless to say, I am amazed yet again what Annie Sloan Chalk Paint can transform! My initial fears faded after I started painting the first few swipes with my brush. This desk does look great in my son’s room! Now to find a chair……I am thinking an industrial metal chair. Even though this was not a planned room make-over, it looks like there may be a few changes in store! I already have plans for something over the bed. So glad to not have a FatHead over the bed anymore! I think the whole change is starting to grow on Woods.
I hope you’ll follow along if not already to see how this room comes together!
I have several more furniture transformations to share with you!
Have a lovely Thursday!
Link Parties that OSH parties at on occasion!
Saturday: Funky Junk Interiors
Wednesday: Savvy Southern Style