This conversation is sponsored by Horizon. All opinions are my own. My One-Dish Mac & Cheese sure was a hit at our table!
It's that time of the year…..spring sports are in full swing for both of my teens.
My son is on the varsity golf team and my daughter is on the varsity soccer team. The nights are late I tell you…late! Did I also mention horribly cold. I sure love watching and supporting them.
Many days I am having to feed my daughter by 5pm to get her to the 7pm home game. My son's golf starts immediately after school if not earlier. Poor thing has to eat when he gets home….usually 8 or 9pm. He has snacks to tide him over until then.
So most nights during this time, I need something quick and it's a plus if I can throw it together earlier.
That can become a challenge.
The slow cooker is great, but the family doesn't want it everyday.
It's fabulous for mom when you can come up with something that has great ingredients, convenience and great taste…..and I'm not talking the drive-thru kids!
The Horizon Reduced Fat Milk has been a staple in our home since the kiddos transitioned to regular milk. I was pleased to discover that Horizon had a Mac & Cheese line.
Most of these ingredients, I had on hand. I only had to pick up the Horizon Mac & Cheese and the diced ham. I usually keep the ham on hand. I'll now be adding the Horizon Mac & Cheese to my list of staples.
Here is my oh so easy and quick recipe for all those busy nights.
- 1- 6 oz package of Horizon Classic Mac
- 6 cups of water
- 1/4 cup of Horizon organic reduced fat milk
- 2 Tbs of unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup of baby carrots
- 1 Tbs of water
- 2 Tbs of diced onion
- 1 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup or more of frozen veggie mix of your choice thawed. I used baby carrots, asparagus and white corn.
- 4 oz of diced ham
- 1 cup of herbed stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Prepare per directions on the box
- Remove frozen veggies to thaw.
- While the water is boiling for the pasta and during the cooking process, prepare the carrots.
- Place you fresh baby carrots in a microwave safe bowl with 1 Tbs of water and microwave for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes covered to soften slightly.
- Coarsely chop the softened carrots and chop the onion
- Saute the carrots and onion in 1 Tbs of butter.
- Add the sauteed carrot and onion mixture, frozen veggies and diced ham to prepared pasta.
- Transfer into a 1 qt. casserole dish.
- Mix together the dry stuffing and shredded cheese.
- Spread on top of casserole
- Bake uncovered for 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees or until lightly browned and cheese topping has melted.
- This recipe is great to adapt for your family. Add more ham and veggies if desired. Easily multiplied for more servings.
Saute the fresh carrots and onions while the water is boiling.
All mixed together and ready for the crusty topping.
Just out of the oven.
Crusty French bread and tossed green salad is a nice accompaniment if desired.
Mac & Cheese is not just for little kids, but big kids and adults can sure put away quite a few spoonfuls.
I doubled the above recipe for my family of 4. My 2 teens can put some food away during sports season.
There is enough left over for a couple of lunches. My daughter plans to take a container in her lunchbox. I think the leftovers would even be great cold on the run like a pasta salad.
It was a hit. I'll definitely be having this on more of those busy nights.
I've got a treat for you. The Horizon MAC-N-ATOR is a mac-n-cheese recipe generator that will surprise and delight your family, while making your life (a little) easier. Simply select the ingredients that you have in your kitchen and the MAC-N-ATOR will generate a mac & cheese recipe for you using Horizon Mac & Cheese.
Be sure to visit Horizon's Pinterest board, MAC-N-ATOR for more recipe inspiration.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.