Welcome to the first in my new series, Saturdays on the Porch!
It will not be a post about any one specific thing.
It will be more about my random thoughts from the week, discoveries, and tips from the week!
Just pretend that we are sitting on the porch on a mild-weathered day together chatting like friends over a tall glass of sweet tea!
Saturdays on the Porch #1
I must say that this has been a very busy week at Our Southern Home. The entire new year has been busy. I'm not complaining though! Let's get started!
My At-Home Manicure Routine
I've been really trying to keep my nails painted. It seems to keep them stronger, and just makes me feel a bit more put together. I've never been much for going to the nail salon. Fun fact, I can't stand a pedicure. My feet are so ticklish so it's just not a relaxing experience for me. I've gotten into a great nail routine on my own. I swear by Sally Hansen Gel Polish. It requires just 2 steps and no special equipment. I do add a base coat and use a quick dry coat. TIP to making it last the week: about 2 times during the week, I add another topcoat of this. I've been using this same system for several years. I also use a nail dryer. I've had mine for years.
Here are my steps!
- Use this cuticle remover
- Apply this base coat and let dry
- HINT: I use an old cardboard nail file and cuticle sticks to remove any polish that gets on the skin immediately with those tools and set the tools on a tissue after.
- Apply 2 coats of this nail color. The color on Amazon looks very different than my actual bottle so I'll post a photo of my color on my nails. It's not anywhere near as bright in person. It's a very pretty pink.
- Use a nail dryer for 45 seconds to a minute in between coats. Mine is really old and loud. I think the motor is close to going out so I've got my eye on the one I linked.
- MUST apply this 2nd step to activate the gel polish. This all removes with regular polish remover. It's not the hard gel polish the salon uses that requires soaking to remove. That's why I love this system. It's like regular polish that does not damage your nails but wears extra hard.
- Whatever polish I use, I ALWAYS use this quick dry top coat a couple of times during the week to extend my manicure.
- I used to use rubber gloves to wash dishes, but they never last. I've switched to this scrubber. Doing this helps my DIY manicure last longer.
What I'm Reading & Listening to this week!
I listen to Audible books all the time. I listen with my Christmas present earbuds while I walk and with my Alexa while working in the house. I'll even play them through my car speakers if driving alone. It has really helped me get through hours of painting trim in our house.
Recent books that I've listened to:
I'm currently on book 5 of The Beach Plum Cove series. It's really a great series to listen to while around the house. It really makes me want to visit Nantucket. HINT!!!! Download the Hoopla app and enter your local library card to listen to the series for free. I always try to listen to books through the library for free. I use my 1 Audible credit per month for new releases that aren't always readily available at the library.
Books that I'm reading on Kindle:
HINT!!! Same Hoopla principle for Kindle books first before purchasing.
I'm currently reading The Paradise trilogy by Elin Hilderbrand. It is so good. It's actually going to be a new series that Ellen Pompeo (Grey's Anatomy) is producing for ABC! I can't wait for that.
I'm so excited to have partnered with Chico's to do a couple of fashion posts with them on Instagram. I've fallen in love with their clothes. They are definitely a bit more expensive, but they run sales all the time. The quality and fit are perfect. I'd love for you to visit Instagram and give my post with them a like and comment and well as watching my stories highlight.
Instagram accounts you need to check out!
I love Instagram. It's a great place to get ideas. In the app, click the little eye glass circle button and search hashtags. You can literally find anything. You can also browse Instagram on your desktop as well!
I adore his account for classically styled homes. He is an incredibly talented designer! He uses color and texture like no one else!
Love this fashion account for over 50 fashion ideas. She's out of Germany, but you can easily apply her ideas to what you already own.
To go gray or not?
I've been contemplating this for over a year now. My color is just not sticking like it used to and feels like my hair is thinning. I have colored myself for years. I just can't bring myself to drop the big bucks at the salon. I have been using eSalon for about a year now. I just canceled it to see if I can go gray. If I give up, I'll be signing back up for my eSalon membership. What are your thoughts? Have you done this? Check out the #silversisters hashtag on Instagram for inspiration. Here are a couple of accounts that I've been following along on their journey. There are many more!
Be sure to check out the latest posts on the blog!
- Basket Riser for a Pumpkin + Home & Decor Encore
- Blue Fall Decorating Ideas
- Saturdays on the Porch #24
- Organizing Your Bath + Home & Decor Encore
- Fall Home Tour
I hope you've enjoyed the first edition of my Saturdays on the Porch! I plan to do this each Saturday with random thoughts on the week.Buffer