Saturdays on the Porch #53 features the latest from OSH in decorating, fashion, and what I've found online from shopping to ideas!
Latest from OSH
- Last Year's Christmas Tour + Home and Decor Encore
- Saturdays on the Porch #55
- How to Make Decoupage Chinoiserie Ornaments
- Christmas Decorating Must-Haves
- Saturdays on the Porch #54
This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of my links, I may earn a small commission from the retailer costing you nothing more. You can read more on my disclosure page. YOU WILL FIND A SHOP THE LOOK FOR OUR HOME AT THE BOTTOM!
Check out the most recent Saturdays on the Porch.
Saturdays on the Porch
Good morning, sweet friends! I hope you've had an amazing week. It's been pretty good over here. I would say it was very productive! Read more below.
I've had my eye on this white, classic tunic for a while. It sells out a lot but is a staple on their site. They replenish it frequently. If you don't see your size, I recommend you put it in for a stock email reminder. That is how I got mine. I ordered a small and could possibly wear an x-small, but I kept the small.
I'll be doing a dedicated post on this tunic soon showing how versatile it is with several looks.
This tunic from Chicos is a dead-ringer and a little cheaper.
Thoughts on this Saturday
The first look of me getting started on the family room. Read below for an explanation.
- We've finally gotten some much-needed rain. It's actually raining this weekend as well.
- Excited to dress up to go to a wedding this evening. Our son's childhood friend is getting married this evening. Hope the rain breaks away for their big day. After dealing with rain for Ashlyn's wedding (which cleared), I pray that they have a clear moment for the ceremony and photos.
- I started decorating for Christmas this week. The house is a total wreck! It's a major process for me. I empty all the boxes in a room and essentially shop my stash to decorate. This makes it easier for me to try to change things up somewhat.
- Here is my take on decorating before Thanksgiving. Before blogging, I didn't decorate until the day after Thanksgiving. I've been blogging for 10 years now. It takes me a good solid week to get it all done. Even more, time is spent photographing, editing, and writing content. Bloggers have to get a jump on the season for this reason.
- I have had fall decor up since mid-August so I'm kind of over it. Christmas decor is so much work, that I want all the time to enjoy it. I don't feel like I have to have fall decor up to be thankful on Thanksgiving Day. We should be thankful each and every day no matter how our homes are decorated. Christmas decor gives me such joy. It totally elevates the mood. If early Christmas decor makes you happy…..go for it! If you want to keep up fall decor….go for it! Just pin my ideas for later when you are ready for it. It's all a personal preference. Do what makes you happy!
- I've gotten off track a bit the last couple of weeks with my eating and exercise habits. I need to get back to my daily 3-mile walks and eat better. I need to say no to that extra slice of banana nut bread. Ha, ha! This is a favorite go-to healthy salmon dinner.
- Have you started Christmas shopping? I've bought 2 gifts. I'd love to finish up before the first of December. Are you an early or last-minute shopper?
- Be sure to check out my handy list of Christmas decorating must-haves.
This Week on the Blog
This week I created this handy list of the new 2022 Christmas movies. It's in a google drive doc. Just print it and check the movies off as you see them.
For this week's Home and Decor Encore, I shared numerous ways for decorating with garlands for the holidays.
Nothing beats a classic white blouse with jeans. I feel very chic and put together in this look. The older that I get, the more I crave classic pieces to wear on repeat.
FIT TIP: I am wearing a small in the tunic. I'd say it runs big. The jeans are the girlfriend ankle from Chicos. I wear a .5 in the girlfriend fit. The flats are so old and look bad. I'm on the hunt for a new pair.
FIT TIP: I am wearing a small in the tunic. I'd say it runs big. The sneakers are true to size in my regular 8. I am wearing an 8 in the jeans. They are so compfortable with all the stretch. I've had them several years. They are a fitted, slim look. They work well with oversized tops and sweaters. They also look nice tucked in taller boots.
In the Kitchen
This week we cooked a thrown-together shrimp fried rice on the Blackstone grill. It's a great way to use up leftover white rice.
I've been using this pumpkin loaf pan all the time. I made it with my banana bread and spiced pumpkin cupcake recipe. The banana bread recipe will make 2 loaves. The pumpkin spice made 1 loaf and 6 regular sized-cupcakes. Just use a cake tester to check for doneness.
What I'm Reading
I love to read and listen to books. If you are looking for a way to get more steps in with your walking…..listen to books! You will want to keep walking to listen.
I've had my Audible membership for a while, and LOVE it! It gives me one book credit per month.
Let me share with you how I read on Kindle and listen to books as well. Get yourself a library card!
Then add the LIBBY and HOOPLA apps to your phone.
I will typically check to see if a book is available there first before using my credit or buying. Using these 2 apps with your library card is FREE!!! I love FREE.
There may be a waitlist if it is a newer title or popular. That's ok. Sometimes the wait can be lengthy. If I'm not willing to wait, I will just purchase. If it is new or popular, you NEED to finish the book in the allowed checkout time. Sometimes you can renew, and sometimes you may have to get back in the queue. If that happens, when it is available again…..it will download where you left off.
Here is what I've recently read or listened to.
- I just finished listening to the book From Scratch. It is a new Netflix series. I'm looking forward to watching it.
- I am currently reading The Good House. I am only about a quarter of the way through it, but I'm enjoying it.
- If you are looking for a new Christmas book to read, check out this roundup from last year. I need to make a new one for this year.
- I just finished my first Christmas read of the season. If you love quilting, you'll like this one. I didn't realize that it is a series, but that did not affect me jumping in this late into it…..The Christmas Boutique.
What We've Bought
I think from what I've bought this week that Christmas decorating is on my mind!
- Fairy lights with plug. (2 due in today)
- Spool of narrow dark green velvet ribbon for decor and gift wrapping.
- Forrest green satin ribbon. Beautiful ribbon and satin feel. The color is not exactly what I wanted for decor, but looks just like the photo. It will work nicely for gift wrapping.
- Raw silk color satin ribbon. It's a perfect match to the velvet ribbon I used last year. Still using it this year.
- This is the narrow velvet ribbon in khaki that I am using 2 for our trees. I'm tying long loose bows. I need to order 1 more spool. I tied 36-inch length bows for the foyer tree, but I like the 42-inch length that I did in the family room. I also ordered it in the 1-1/2 inch which is sold out, but the 1 inch is available.
- I used this Christmas wrapping paper last year and plan to reorder it again this year. It's so pretty.
- This animal print clutch. It is due in tomorrow. So sad because I wanted it for a wedding that we are going to this evening. I am wearing an ancient dress this evening. It's amazing what just one accessory can do to bring an old outfit back to life.
- I ended up ordering this one as an alternative bag in case the above bag didn't come in. I think this will be fun for the holidays…..even with jeans.
- I ordered this foundation brush. I needed to replace mine. I plan to use it for the first time today. I've been wearing this tinted sunscreen most days instead of foundation. I also like this one. When I put any kind of cream or foundation on my face, I get a red sensation. I put this on and let it sit on my face for a while and do something else before I put the rest of my makeup on. It gives my face a chance to settle down with the color.
- Head to Hobby Lobby for your faux floral pics. They have their Christmas decor 60% off!!!
- I am obsessed with our new tree for the family room. It has a quick connect pole. No plug-in per section. As soon as you put the next section in, it lights up. What blew me away is that it is a tree that requires little to no fluffing as you open each section. The only part that I had to fluff just a touch was the very top because the branches aren't hinged. It comes with a floor touch control to turn on and off as well as change from clear to colored lights. It also has a remote control. You can see my new reel video on the tree here.
What Caught My Eye
I need a new pair of cheetah flats in a big way. Mine are so old that they are falling apart. I wear these all the time so I am thinking about investing in a nice pair to last for several years. The insoles of these scream comfort to me. I have these brown sneakers and they are very comfortable.
Thank you so much for being here today with me! I hope your weekend is joyful. XO, Christy
Christy has been creating content for Our Southern Home since 2012. She has been featured in numerous print and online publications. Her classic, eclectic design approach spans her home and fashion style. Christy has a way of mixing store-bought with thrift store, antique and vintage finds. As a recent empty nester, she is having fun navigating this new stage of life. Read more about Christy HERE. Be sure to subscribe below. You can also contact me HERE.