Saturdays on the Porch #52
Saturdays on the Porch #52 features the latest from OSH in decorating, fashion, and what I've found online from shopping to ideas!
Latest from OSH
- Saturdays on the Porch #62
- How to Whitewash Home Decor for an Updated Look
- Spring in the Kitchen
- How to Style a Simple Spring Vignette
- Upcycling Tips for the Home
This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of my links, I may earn a small commission from the retailer costing you nothing more. You can read more on my disclosure page. YOU WILL FIND A SHOP THE LOOK FOR OUR HOME AT THE BOTTOM!
Check out the most recent Saturdays on the Porch.
Saturdays on the Porch
Thoughts on this Saturday
- It's hard to believe that October is almost over.
- This month has been terribly dry in Upstate, SC. I've had to water my potted pansies quite frequently.
- I'm tired of the roller coaster temperature ride here. One day it's chilly, and I'll wear a sweater. Another day, I'm in shorts.
- I'll be 54 in December. Gulp…I've been doing so much reminiscing and reflecting lately. The empty nest has hit hard.
- Do you swap out your seasonal clothes? We utilized every inch of our 10-foot ceilings in our closet. I moved all of my spring and summer clothes to the very top hanging bar using a tall step stool, I then move down all of the fall and winter. I remove all of my summer shoes and replace them with my fall and winter shoes. I store out-of-season shoes in a crate that slides under the bed. I use this time to donate clothes and clean out. It's usually an all-day job. I also go through my drawers and clean out and refold items. I like to use the Marie Condo method for folding. I find it much easier to locate my t-shirts, leggings, sweatpants, and joggers.
- I made banana nut bread yesterday using this adorable fall pan. It turned out beautifully! It's the second time that I've used it this week. Last Sunday I used it with this pumpkin spice cake minus the icing. It's great with a powdered sugar sprinkle. I actually used the glaze from this recipe for it.
- I have leftover buttermilk so I'm going to on and bake a batch of cornbread to freeze for my Thanksgiving dressing recipe. I make this every year. It is so good!
- I'm going to put up 2 Christmas trees this weekend. I won't decorate them until next week, but going to get them up and fluff the branches. I can't wait to see what my new tree for the family room looks like. I wanted this tree so badly, but the 9-foot would be too wide for the area.
- I've had fall decor up since late August so I am ready to start enjoying Christmas decorations. It doesn't mean that we don't celebrate Thanksgiving or feel thankful every day, I just want to get a jump on things so that I can start getting holiday content ready early.
This Week on the Blog
This is a shop my closet look! Since cleaning out my closet, I'm really trying to wear what I have. If I don't like it, it's going! The jewelry has been my new go-to. Sequin Jewelry reached out to me to try their layered necklaces. I love that I can wear them together or on their own. They have a site-wide 30% off sale through tomorrow. Great time to give it a try or buy some gifts. My personal favorite has been the single pearl necklace.
We recently went to Asheville, NC for a quick one-night getaway. We hope to start doing more of these. It was kind of last minute so we got a great deal on a one-night Airbnb. We went up on a Sunday morning and returned on Monday afternoon. The crowds were not as bad. We are going to Highlands, NC in a couple of weeks. We are going up on Monday morning and returning Tuesday evening. Again….a cheaper rate not being on a heavy traffic day for the area.
The above outfit has been worn so many times recently. My top is sold out, but I've listed some alternatives. I highly recommend filling out the “notify me” tab on the site. When back in stock you'll get an email. That's how I got mine as well as the dress that I wore to my son's wedding.
I also splurged on this white blouse. It runs big so size down! I got a small and could have possibly worn an x-small, but kept the small.
Fit Tip: Jeans are in my true to size 8. They stretch wonderfully for all day comfort. Sneakers are my true to size 8. The suede top is true to size in a small.
The above reel is the companion to this month's thrift store post sharing how I tried oven cleaner to strip a stool of its finish.
The above reel is from a recent overnight trip to Asheville, NC. We had a wonderful time.
What I'm Reading
I love to read AND listen to books. If you are looking for a way to get more steps in with your walking…..listen to books! You will want to keep walking to listen. I also listen while doing chores around the house. I will use my earbuds while walking, While in the house I will use a bluetooth speaker that I can carry around with me or our Alexa.
I read actual printed books as well as on Kindle. I prefer my Kindle, but it is nice to hold a real book occasionally.
I've had my Audible membership for a while, and LOVE it! It gives me one book credit per month.
Let me share with you how I read on Kindle and listen to books as well. Get yourself a library card!
Then add the LIBBY and HOOPLA apps to your phone.
I will typically check to see if a book is available there first before using my credit or buying. Using these 2 apps with your library card is FREE!!! I love FREE.
There may be a waitlist if it is a newer title or popular. That's ok. Sometimes the wait can be lengthy. If I'm not willing to wait, I will just purchase. If it is new or popular, you NEED to finish the book in the allowed checkout time. Sometimes you can renew, and sometimes you may have to get back in the queue. If that happens, when it is available again…..it will download where you left off.
Get in the habit of always carrying a book with you to get in a little extra time. That way if you are waiting at the doctor's office or to get your car serviced….you are prepared!
It is my goal to read more than 12, but these are my must-reads for the year.
- I have an hour left to listen to the book From Scratch. It is a new Netflix series. I want to finish the book before I watch the show. It is so good!
- If you are looking for a new Christmas book to read, check out this roundup from last year. I need to make a new one for this year.
- I just finished my first Christmas read of the season. If you love quilting, you'll like this one. I didn't realize that it is a series, but that did not affect me jumping in this late into it…..The Christmas Boutique.
What We've Bought
- I ordered these pull-on pants in a beige color. I wanted something to wear mainly at home with sweaters and this sequin top. I ordered a size medium so I'd say that they are true to size. I love them. They are so soft. I think I just might need a black pair. Love anything with pockets. Make sure you clip the 40% off coupon.
- Let's talk about the sequin top. I found it on the Porter Collective. Tracy has gorgeous clothes. I bought a pair of leopard pants from her during covid. They're so cool. Her clothes are of amazing quality. The top over there is $158. I could not pay that so I started searching for a lower-priced alternative. Check out the high version. You will see a photo over there of the look that I'm going for with the beige pants that I bought. The lower-priced gold alternative is sold out. It is available in pink. My top is a generous fit even in the small. I also found this sequin top in several colors. I really like the more structured style of it.
- Replacement for our heavy-duty hose for the backyard.
- I got this plaid top. I ordered a medium but could have worn a small. The medium covers your bum to wear with leggings if you'd like.
- Be sure to follow me in the LTK app. I'll be sharing more outfits over there. You can follow it in the app or from your computer.
- My layered necklaces are on sale through the 30th. In fact, the entire site is 30% off!
What Caught My Eye
- I bought this gorgeous garland last year. I use 2 on our mantel. It's now available in longer lengths. It's amazing quality and so life-like.
- I made this crock-pot dish last Sunday for our family lunches. It was a huge hit. It will definitely be in the rotation. I made the meatballs the day before. I then assembled the crock pot and started it before leaving for church. I served it with a spinach salad and crusty bread. I have her cookbook as well. EVERY recipe has been outstanding.
- I adore Ina Garten. I just ordered her latest cookbook.
Thank you so much for being here today with me! I hope your weekend is joyful.
Christy has been creating content for Our Southern Home since 2012. She has been featured in numerous print and online publications. Her classic, eclectic design approach spans her home and fashion style. Christy has a way of mixing store-bought with thrift store, antique and vintage finds. As a recent empty nester, she is having fun navigating this new stage of life. Read more about Christy HERE. Be sure to subscribe below. You can also contact me HERE.