Homemade lemon meringue pie is just too much work for me! I love this easy method that I adapted from a Southern Living recipe in 2000! My way is fast!
This is my hubby's favorite dessert. He'd rather have this than birthday cake! I bet I could make him one anytime I wanted a “yes, dear” from him! LOL!!!
I recently made this for Father's Day! I was so stressed that day with trying to get all of my paint projects out of the way for guests that I completely forgot to serve the pie!!!! Of course, he had an evil happy grin on his face when I announced it right after everyone left for the night! His reply was, “More for me!”
- 1 premade graham cracker pie crust
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup of fresh or bottled lemon juice
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- garnish: lemon slices (optional)
- Combine the condensed milk and lemon juice with a whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Pour into the pie crust. I always buy the larger crust that says for 2 extra servings!
- Set aside while you make the meringue.
- Beat egg whites only with the cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer just until foamy.
- Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until soft peaks form and sugar dissolves (2-4 minutes).
- Spread the meringue over the filling.
- Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 25 minutes. Start checking a little earlier. The pie should be just lightly browned. Remove and chill for 8 hours to set.
- Set your eggs on the counter about 10 minutes before ready to start. The whites will be fluffier if at room temperature.
- Make things easier and make the night before! Keep refrigerated.
I like to use the extra 2 servings pre-made graham cracker pie crust for extra plus I like to add an extra fluffy meringue! This allows the room for that!
Fluffy peaks after all the sugar has been added and dissolved!
Keep and eye on in while baking. Every oven is different. You just want it lightly browned on top.
Chill for at least 8 hours or overnight to set up completely.
Enjoy, share and pin away!
This has been a family favorite for years! It is just so easy and quick for a light and refreshing dessert!
Enjoy and thanks for stopping by!
Link Parties that OSH shares with on occasion!
Saturday: Funky Junk Interiors
Wednesday: Savvy Southern StyleBuffer